Giampiero Cantoni – whose full name is Giampiero Carlo Cantoni – was born in Milan on 10 February 1939. He’s married to Emilia Capponi and has two children, Alessandro and Luca.
Giampiero Cantoni received a degree in economics from the University of Milan in 1964 and a postgraduate master’s degree in management from SDA-Bocconi in 1976. In 1992 he was granted a “Honoris Causa” degree in mathematics from the University of Camerino.
An entrepreneur, university professor and commentator on economic and moral issues for both newspaper and television, Giampiero Cantoni is currently:
- Senator of the Republic, a member of the PdL (The People of Freedom) and Chairman of the Senate Defence Committee
- Chairman of the Fiera Milano Foundation
- Chairman of the Liberamente Foundation
- Vice Chairman of the Alcide De Gasperi Foundation
- 1991: “Ambrogino d’Oro” Gold Medal for Civil Merit from the Municipality of Milan
- 1992: “Cavaliere del Lavoro” for the Credit sector
- 1998: Grand Officer of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic